Wednesday, April 18, 2007
It would be interesting to know how many members we've lost -- those who've moved their membership as well as those who haven't but are attending other churches or fulfilling a commitment to a volunteer leadership position (teaching a Sunday School class, working in the nursery, serving in the music ministry, coaching, etc.) until the end of the semester. Judging by the sizes of the Sunday worship service crowds, Bellevue seems to be losing significantly more members than it's gained.
Here are some questions for those who find themselves "just hanging on" or recently departed to consider and discuss:
1. How are you handling the situation? Are you planning to leave when your commitment is fulfilled? Are you serving but not attending worship services?
2. If you have children, how are you explaining it to them? For example, if you're attending Sunday School but not worship services, are you going back home or traveling to another church to attend worship services?
3. If you've already left, whether you've moved your membership or not, how did you arrive at that decision? Was it a difficult decision for you?
4. Do you continue to have fellowship with other BBC members?
5. Do you know of others who have resigned their positions of service because of all this?
6. Do you think there's hope for reconciliation and healing at Bellevue? If so, what will it take?
Thanks to "feelingblue" and "concerned" for this topic idea.